For many people, protein powder(add link to http://proteinpowdershakes.org/) is not an easy choice. Whether it’s because of dietary choices – such as vegetarianism, raw-foodist, only organic, etc. – or whether you want something with more micro-nutrient density, or if you’re doing a temporary cleanse and can’t include dairy or eggs, standard whey might not be the answer. Everyone else is looking for the best raw, vegan, organic protein powder available, and I think we’ve found it in Sun Warrior.
The Rundown on Warrior’s Blend Protein Powder
Sun Warrior makes many various protein powders, but I think the Warrior’s Blend is the best all-rounder. It has a great protein source and includes many other pro-health compounds:
- It has a large amount of raw pea-protein as the main protein component. This is great because peas and other legumes are very high in BCAAs (Branch Chain Amino Acids) including Lysine, Leutine, and Glutamine, and is comparable to whey or egg in that regard.
- Includes raw cranberry protein as well. This is a protein very high in antioxidants, is a detoxifier and diuretic, helps with kidney and bladder problems, and decreases LDL cholesterol while increasing HDL cholesterol.
- Also includes raw hemp protein. This is a complete protein (includes all essential amino acids) and is very high in Omega-3 fatty acids. High in Magnesium, Vitamin B complex and Vitamin C. Hemp also improves liver function and cardiovascular health.
- It also has coconut MCTs (medium-chain-triglycerides) which increase lean body mass, decrease fat, improve cardiovascular function, and are overall a “miracle substance”
- Fenugreek is another component, which is shown to lower blood-glucose levels and lower LDL cholesterol
- Glucomannan, which is another high-fiber plant shown to slow the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream and lower the overall glycemic index of food you’re eating. Also adds feeling of fullness and lowers hunger levels.
- Luceine, an amino acid, is really a star player in building muscle. It helps prevent muscle wasting, decreases recovery time, lowers appetite, helps control blood sugar, and increases production of the oh-so-important human-growth-hormone.
Why Organic, Raw, and Vegan?
Well, I’m glad you asked. As mentioned above, for a lot of people it’s either because of dietary/lifestyle choices, or if they’re on a cleanse. What many people don’t realize is that there is real benefits to raw, organic, and vegan foods, especially for athletes. The benefits of all of these are often misunderstood though, so let’s try to clear some of that up.
Many people don’t fully understand what organic food is. They think it should taste better, or will have more vitamins and nutrients than regular foodstuffs. Sure, this may be true some of the time, but also very often will not be true.
What is true, though, is that organic food is grown without herbicides or pesticides. This is important, because all of these chemicals are toxic to living organisms. They’ve been claimed to be “safe to eat” because one dose of them is not enough to cause any ill effects to a person. But most of them are bio-accumulative, meaning your body has a very difficult time getting rid of them.
After eating regular food for years and years, these toxins can build up in your body causing – among many other health problems – your liver to be less effective at burning fat for energy.
Once you stop putting these toxins into your body, your liver can start to clear out the backlog of toxins it has, and finally get back to burning fat. And if you’re looking for a quality protein powder, chances are fat loss is on your mind, so you can see how beneficial organic foods can be.
It’s helpful to limit highly processed foods in your diet as well. Even if you’re making your own food using nothing but whole-foods, cooking it is one more step in processing it, and causes it to undergo many chemical changes.
Cooking your food often causes digestive enzymes present in the food to undergo changes that make them essentially worthless. This makes digestion of that food more difficult, and lessens the amount of vitamins and minerals you can absorb from the food.
If you leave it raw, those enzymes will remain undamaged, and you’ll get the full benefits of all the healthy food you’re consuming.
I’m not suggesting you eat raw meat or dairy or anything like that. But your fruits and vegetables can certainly be eaten raw, and putting them in a blender with some vegan protein powder to make a healthy shake is a quick and tasty way to do it.
Okay, this one is a little more difficult to find proven health benefits for, and is truly mostly a lifestyle choice.
That said, many professional athletes are moving to vegan diets because they feel healthier while under intense training. They claim that they feel better, they recover more quickly from intense workouts, and can push themselves harder.
Jake Shields is a very dominant MMA fighter that really sparked a lot of this. After it came out that he is vegan and he claimed it was one of the secrets to him becoming a champion, many others started to try it and echoed his sentiments. And guess which protein powder Jake Shields uses for his shakes? That’s right, Sun Warrior – the best vegan, organic protein powder there is.
[box type=”bio”]Now that you know about the health benefits of raw, vegan protein powder, you should probably put it to use. Andy Kremer runs www.cleanseandblend.com to get people started with a 21-day healing cleanse by sharing what he’s learned the hard way.[/box]